About BellaVista Hotel Cobh
The Villa was built in 1845 and has a colourful history attached to it. Dr. James Roche Verling, a native of Cobh lived here for a number of years. He was personal physician to Napoleon Bonaparte on St. Helena from 1818 to 1820. The eminent doctor died in 1858 and is buried in the Old Cemetery in Cobh.
The Carbery family, renowned for their relief work during the Great Irish Famine, bought the house and lived there until 1914. In 1916 Bella Vista House became the property of the Diocese of Cloyne and was officially opened by Bishop Robert Browne as the Sacred Heart Noviciate. The Mercy convents, which had been independent since their foundation in 1850, were thus amalgamated under one Noviciate and one Mother General. Father Browne, a nephew of the Bishop, was a first class passenger on the Titanic from Southampton to Queenstown and frequently stayed at Bella Vista. Many of his photographs were used by the international media following the tragic sinking of the Titanic.
Around 1931 the Sisters of Mercy moved out of Bella Vista and the house was rented out as a private dwelling and divided into an upper (Northern) and lower (Southern) house. In 1978, the Southern House was sold by the Diocese to raise money, and in 1979 the Northern House also came on the market.
Both residences remained separate and private dwellings until they were finally bought by the Ward family in 1998. The two houses were rejoined and extended and the beautiful conservatory which now houses the China Sea Restaurant. In 2001, Kevin Murphy took over Bella Vista Hotel Cobh and has carefully and extensively renovated the Villa.
Centrally located on a quiet road only a 3-minute walk from the town centre and waterfront, Bella Vista Hotel Cobh is situated above the town with wonderful views of St. Coleman’s cathedral and the harbour. We are also the last stop on the Cobh heritage trail so why not drop by and enjoy a coffee or a refreshing drink in our modern conservatory or rustic bar and lounge? Sit and watch the cruise liners passing below you and docking in the town. Car parking is available in this private, but central location.